Friday, August 15, 2008

Mistakes ... I've Made a Few

I came home from work to find that the power was out. So I went to visit my grandmother and we watched the Olympics. That is until her power went out. When I looked out the window I saw a truck from the power company drive by. I'm guessing they were out to fix the first problem and made it a little worse. I imagined the unseen drama and shared it with my grandmother, "'Hey Bob, I think I got it! Snip. Flash! Darkness. Oops."

Today a student and I were discussing famous quotes on the subject of failure. Many of the quotes addressed the idea that failing is a huge part of success. "Why do we fall down Master Wayne? So we can get right back up again," said Alfred in Batman Begins. Mistakes are a part of the learning process, an important part that led to evolution of man, according to some anthropologists. If a caveman made the mistake of walking into a cave with a hungry bear, you can bet his mind took as many notes as possible so he'd never repeat the mistake. In fact if he had forgotten, he'd be eaten and where would that leave us today? (Without great cartoons like the Flintstones and Captain Caveman, that's where.) Today there are fewer bear incidents, but there are still pressure situations.

Poor Alicia Sacramone fell twice during the Women's Gymnastics finals at the Olympics. They say she cost her team the gold medal. However, I guarantee that she has insight into floor exercises and the balance beam that could benefit generations of gymnasts to come. Though with an education at Brown university and the dubious distinction of Internet "hottie" according to Foxnews, she may pursue other career options. I hope she includes teaching among them.

I've made so many mistakes and remember pretty much every single one of them in excruciating detail, everything from putting my foot in my mouth (see entry Things Not to Say at a Wake) to getting lost in New York City (where the streets are numbered). I wish for a time machine after the fact or a crystal ball before. I don't have those, but what I do have are stories. Lots and lots of embarrassing but funny stories. Lots of anecdotes to share with kids who think their lives are ruined when they fail a test or anger a friend. And the true irony is that the more I tell my students how many times I got it wrong, the more they tell me how smart I am.

So I should forgive myself, and certainly forgive others for their mistakes. It's just part of the learning process. Like the power guys. They learned and they got it right. My grandmother's lights went back on and so did mine. And best of all, I have a new story to share with my students.

No comments: