Sunday, August 10, 2008

My favorite things about the Beijing Olympics so far:

1. On Saturday I noticed that there are Olympic officials whose sole purpose is to stare at the female swimmers as they adjust their suits. I wonder what the qualifications are for the job? I bet the hiring committee scanned resumes for words like "leering" and "creepy." What's the Chinese equivalent of Peeping Tom?

2. The Birdnest design of the stadium. Though I offer some words of caution: So close to Japan, I feel like you're just asking for trouble from Rodan.

3. The Wily Bongo (For all you Bob Costas fans out there)

4. Whenever you can fit a country's Olympic contingent in your MINI Cooper.

5. Iran following Iraq in the parade. That gave me a wonderful idea where each country could be paired off with their centuries old enemy and then walked in together to an instrumental version of "It Had to Be You." Greece and Turkey, England and Ireland, Pakistan and India, etc. I know the Olympics embody a spirit of peace, but remember, baby steps.

6. Jim Lampley's Geography. After the Latvian men's beach volleyball team upset the US, NBC sports commentator and Olympic host Jim Lampley wondered aloud what surprise winners would we see next: "Siberia, Antarctica." That would be quite a feat as neither of which are actually countries.

No comments: